Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Introduction

Hello
My name is Lior Herman from Finland. I decided to open my own blog for sharing my knowledge for VOIP planing, deployment and marketing.
English is not my native language so I am sorry in advanced for any spelling or any mistakes.
Currently I am holding the position of CTO of Suomen Puhelin LTD (Voip service provider in Finland) www.suomenpuhelin.fi
this blog is targeted to technical people who would like to share knowledge helping other to become a successful voip providers.
In my port folio i was involved with consulting and deploying few voip service providers around the world, my expertise cover voip signaling, PSTN signaling and ip networks.
Unlike a lot others voip providers that target their business mainly to residential or international termination, our main target is the business customer. Business customer demand more availability and quality and as service provider we have a small gap for making mistakes, while for residential users it is not so critical.
our main competition is about quality and not cheap calls rate, at least in Finland 2 cent per minutes different will not be the main reason for business user to migrate between operators.
in our location we do what no other big operator do yet and its disconnect the business from its legacy TDM (PSTN) lines and migrate to SIP TRUNK.

I know many that try be voip service provider starting a business in their gardge with some open source solution such as Asterisk and Open Ser and have a great respect for them.
I know Asterisk and other open source solutions, but can say just that:
"To be able to serve corporates customers you need state of the art system in high availability, by the time you will find some bugs and compatibility problems that will need to be resolved and you system supplier will need to do it (unless you know how to change open source). "

I know that a lot of open source freaks will not agree with me and its OK by me as I also use open source solutions myself for some services, but NOT as the core system.

in the present we are working with few market leading solutions like:
Acme packets, Cisco UC5XX, Patton, IPgear/Teles, Nokia, Audiocodes, Siemens......

Tomorrow i will continue is some more details.

Lior Herman

4 comments:

vidajoven said...

Hi Lior, I'm in the Dominican Republic and don't know very much about VOIP. I want to connect a normal phone to Skype without using a computer. Is there not a phone adapter that plugs directly into the network plug of my router? I want to be free of going through a computer but don't want to buy a phone from Skype. Thanks!

Lior Voippi said...

Hi TDE
so you want a Skype phone with no computer and still you don't want to buy Skype phone.
I am not fully understand you, but there are Skype phones that DO NOT need coputer at all just internet.
please look for example on:http://www.dualphone.dk/
the first model not need pc:
http://www.dualphone.dk/DUALphone_3088_for_Skype-789.aspx

it can connect to your adsl modem and to your regular analouge phone.

hope its help.

vidajoven said...

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Let me try to explain better. I want to be able to plug a PBX into Voip Analog Adapter to connect to a broadband modem or router. I've heard there are adapters that are programmable and so my hope is that I could program one to work with my Skype account. Do you know anything about this? Thanks!

sam said...

try Zultys PBX.
All the features you mentioned about Cisco plus all PSTN interfaces in the box, plus scale to 10 users cheap